Home & Herbal remedies treatment is the proven, scientific, and evidence-based treatment option for obesity. Obesity is not only a disease but a syndrome. It’s a leading cause of non-communicable diseases. You will find here the obesity complications and causes of obesity and how to lose weight fast?
The role of Ayurvedic and Herbal medicines is very significant in weight loss programs.
What is Obesity?
It may be called a disease of caloric imbalance. A result of an excess intake of calories above the consumption by the body. In which excess fat has accumulated to an extent that may have a negative and adverse effect on your health.
A leading preventable cause of death worldwide. The rates are increasing in women, adults, and children. It’s more common in women than in men.
Types of Obesity
1. Apple Shaped Obesity
It is also called central obesity or Android Obesity. More lethal compared to others.
2. Pear Shaped Obesity
Pear-shaped obesity is additionally called peripheral obesity or Gynoid Obesity.
Classification of Obesity as per BMI criteria
Classified on the basis of BMI (Body Mass Index). BMI is calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by the square of the person’s height.
- BMI<18.5 kg/m² = Underweight
- BMI 18.5 -25 kg/m² = Normal
- BMI 25-30 kg/m² = Overweight
- BMI 30-35 kg/m² = Obesity Class – I
- BMI 35-40 kg/m² = Obesity Class – II
- BMI > 40 kg/m² = Obesity Class – III
For example: If a person’s body weight is 80 kg and height is 1.74 meters then BMI will be calculated as:
Body Mass Index = Person’s weight / (Person’s height)²
BMI = 80 / (1.74)² = 80 / 1.74×1.7 = 80 / 3.48
BMI= 22.98 kg/m²
Adverse Effects, Complications, and causes of obesity
1. Cardiovascular Disease:
Overweight and obesity cause high cholesterol and triglycerides levels. It may lead to the narrowing of arteries. Narrowing of arteries is responsible for various cardiovascular disorders like:
- High blood pressure (hypertension) – High blood pressure is a long-term medical condition in which the blood pressure in the blood arteries is persistently elevated. Which leads to coronary artery disease, heart attack, and strokes.
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) – Coronary artery disease also called coronary heart disease (CHD) or ischemic heart disease (IHD). In which the reduction of blood flows to heart muscles due to the buildup of plaques in coronary arteries of the heart.
- Obese people’s heart is overloaded and unable to pump sufficient blood to the body. This causes right-side heart failure or congestive heart failure.
- Abnormal cholesterol levels and obesity causes Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Which are other frequent complications in obese people.
2. Diabetes Mellitus:
Obese people are more prone to diabetes mellitus type 2. Diabetes isn’t only a disease but a syndrome of diseases. Diabetes further increases the risk of other complications as listed below.
- Kidney failure
- Ischemic heart disease
- Nervous system disorders
3. Hormonal Imbalance:
Obesity is one of the major causes of reproductive disorders which leads to low levels of testosterone and high estrogen level in males while androgen levels increase in females which leads to:
- Complications in pregnancy and birth defects
- Intrauterine fetal death
- Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD)
- Hirsutism (Excessive hair on parts of the body)
- Menstrual irregularities
4. Respiratory Disorders:
This disease causes obstructive sleep apnea which reflects as snoring during sleep. This is a serious socio-health issue linked to married couples. Other respiratory disorders caused by obesity are:
- Obesity hypoventilation syndrome
- Heart failure
- Irregular heartbeats and heart attack.
5. Gastroenterology and other Health Disorders:
There are many gastrointestinal diseases associated with obesity:
- Gall bladder stones are very common in obese, especially in females. Gall bladder stones are made of cholesterol and cause high prevalence in obese people.
- Abdominal Hernias
- Pancreatitis is also a big risk to the obese population.
- Nonalcoholic Liver Failure Disease (NAFLD) is also very common in obese. Because fat started accumulating in the Liver. We eat a high-calorie diet and calorie consumption is low. This causes fatty liver disease which is the main cause of liver failure in the obese population.
- Liver failure causes cirrhosis of the liver and even death if progressed to the next stage of liver failure. This stage is called End-Stage Liver Failure Disease (ESLFD).
6. Neurological & Psychological Disorders:
- Brain Stroke
- Carpel tunnel syndrome
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension and multiple sclerosis.
- Depression and other psychological disorders. Obesity causes depression and depression leads to further obesity and fat accumulation.
- Social stigmatization is another big challenge for obese people.
7. Joints and orthopedic disorders:
More weight causes poor mobility and more pressure on knee joints. Which leads to osteoarthritis and Joint pain in obesity.
8. Skin and dermatology disorders:
There are various adverse cosmetic effects of obesity on the body:
- Social stigmatization and its effects on the overall personality of a person.
- Stretch marks are very common in obese
- Hirsutism is also caused by obesity.
9. Urological and Kidney disorders:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Urinary incontinence
- Chronic renal failure
- Hypogonadism and buried penis.
10. Cancers and Oncology:
Adversely affects the body functions. It may lead to changes in cell functions. Which causes various types of carcinomas like:
- Esophageal cancer
- Colon and rectal cancers
- Pancreatic cancer
- Gall bladder and hepatocellular carcinoma
- Leukemia and blood cancers
- Endometrial carcinoma.
Common Causes of Obesity
Unhealthy Dietary Habits:
The most important cause of obesity is Excessive food and High-calorie intake. Mainly a form of high glycemic index carbohydrates rich food but low-calorie consumption. Moreover heavy late evening dinners. All these factors produce hormonal changes that promote calorie deposition in adipose tissues. This exacerbates hunger and lowers energy expenditure.
Easy accessibility and palatable diet
Unhealthy and sedentary Life Style:
More dependency on Machines like cars and bikes. Odd working hour patterns. Unhealthy sleeping patterns. Lack of physical activity and lack of exercise are the most common causes of obesity.
Full-blown advertisements for foodstuffs are a big cause of obesity in children and young adults.
A limited number of cases are primarily to genetics, psychiatric illnesses, and a few medical conditions like endocrinal disruptions
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Adulteration and pollutants
- Pregnancy at a later age
Medications and drugs like:
- Antidepressants and antipsychotic drugs
- Antidiabetics drugs
- Antiepileptic drugs
Management and Treatment of Obesity:
The treatment of obesity is very simple. Just to eliminate the causes of obesity which is in your hands only. Eliminate the causes and you will treat yourself without visiting a doctor. But only if we follow obesity herbal home remedies treatment options.
The role of herbal remedies in the treatment of obesity
Modify your lifestyle and dietary habits:
Food and lifestyle is the primary factor to gain weight and obesity. Weight loss can be managed by a calorie-restricted diet:
- Minimize the intake of diet and food which is rich in calories and carbohydrate index.
- A low-carbohydrate and low-fat diet are extremely effective in weight reduction.
- Decrease intake of sweet drinks, packed juices, and fast foods.
- Reduce the use of refined sugars and deep-fried food.
- Avoid recycled oils.
- Intermittent Fasting
This is the key formula to removing the causes of obesity essay and reducing your weight.
What should be the diet?
- Increase intake of vegetables and prefer eating fruits before main meal course.
- Lifestyle change and regular exercises: Change lifestyle and increase physical activities. Increase daily walking, cycling, and games to burn out the excessive calories deposited in tissues. This will help you in reducing weight and preventing the excess deposits of fats in body tissues.
- Intensive behavioral counseling is recommended to reduce the risk of obesity and other ailments associated with obesity.
Medicinal Plants and Obesity Management
Herbs play a very important role in weight management and weight loss programs.
We can reduce BMI easily with help of herbs and herbal products alongside physical activities and changes in lifestyle.
Fruits like muskmelons, watermelons, cucumbers, etc. are very helpful in weight reduction programs as they do help in killing hunger and give a sense of fullness of stomach after eating.
Avoid using refined oils and saturated fats.
Plant unsaturated fats for preparing your meals like Olive Oil, Ground Nut Oil, Mustard Oil, Sunflower, and Soybean Oil are really helpful in weight control.
Let’s discuss Herbs and home remedies having results in weight reduction and obesity management. Ayurvedic and Unani drugs Medicinal plants can be useful.
List of anti-obesity plants
Following is the list of anti-obesity herbs that are used very extensively within obesity management programs.
|Botanical/Biological Name||Ayurveda Name||Unani Name|
|Tribulus terrestris||Gokhru||Khar Kask|
|Curcuma longa||Turmeric||Zard Chob|
|Carum Carvi||Zeera Siyah||Kala Jira|
Unani and Alternative Medicines for Obesity
Lifestyle modification and a balanced diet along with herbal remedies is the best treatment option for obesity.
Alternative Medicines for Obesity and Unani Compositions
The following compositions are very effective in weight management programs and can be used as home remedies. We call these herbs for extreme weight loss and have proven results.
Key Herbal Formulations
- Safoof-e-Mohazzil – Take Safoof-e-Mohazzil Powder 5 gm with Arq-e-Zeera 20 ml twice a day before meal.
- Lemon Juice – A quite effective remedy for obese patients, take 5-10 ml lemon juice, mixed it in one glass of water, and should be taken an empty stomach in the morning.
- Safoof-e-bekh-e-khatmi (Root Powder of Althaea Officinalis) 2 gm with lemon juice daily.
- Daily use of decoction of filfil (Piper nigrum) 2 Part, Fitrsalyon ( Apium graveolens) 2Part, Asaroon (Valeriana wallichii) ½ part, Anisoon (Pimpinella anisum) ½ part. Dip all ingredients in a glass of water, boil for 2 minutes and filter it, drink the water daily in the morning and evening. This is very effective for weight reduction.
- Take Safoof-e-Ajwain (Powder of Ptycotis ajowan), Safoof-e-ebadyan (Powder of Foeniculum vulgare), Safof-e-Zeera Siyah (Powder of Carum carvi), Boora-e Armani (Armenian bole) ¼ part, Luk (Coccus lacca) 2 part. Use 4-5 gm daily.
Surgical treatment of Morbid Obesity
Surgical treatment for Obesity is called Bariatric Surgery. The procedure name is called Sleeve gastrectomy. The gastrectomy procedure means scaling back the dimensions of stomach capacity of the stomach. Generally, treatment for obesity is not covered under health insurance plans.
It takes around 3-5 days of hospitalization and the patient starts losing weight within a month period. However, it takes months to adopt normal functions and therefore accept the consequences of surgery and reduce significant weight in 2-3 months.